When preparing your home for sale, it is important to appeal visually to buyers, but also show that your home has been well maintained. Below are some inspection tips, from Tiger Home Inspections, that might help your home show better as well.
1. Confirm that all utilities are on: water, electric and gas service.
2. Make sure that all gas appliances have gas pilot lights burning (if applicable – some devices may have an electronic ignition).
3. Ensure pets won’t hinder the inspection. Ideally, they should be removed from the premises or secured in a cage.
4. Replace burned out bulbs to avoid a “Light is out” comment that may suggest an electrical problem.
5. Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Replace dead batteries.
6. Re-secure loose outlets, light fixtures, and switches.
7. Replace missing switch, outlet, and junction box covers.
8. Clean or replace dirty filters in the heating and air conditioning systems.
9. Re-secure loose door and window hardware.
10. Lubricate sliding and moving parts of the doors and windows to ensure smooth operation.
11. Remove items blocking access to heating systems, electric service panels, water heaters, attics, crawl spaces, closets, and fenced yards. Unlock doors, hatches and gates.
12. Install all window and exterior door screens (if they are readily available at the property).
Tiger Home Inspections can be reached at 970-513-4444.
Shop local with the only locally owned real estate company, RE/MAX Red.